Tenant Rights: Can A Landlord Kick Me Out?

Tenant Rights: Can A Landlord Kick Me Out?

Innumerable individuals pay monthly rent for a unit, but only a few of them have a good understanding of the tenant rights they have.

Here are the 20 questions that renters often ask:

  1. Is it possible for a homeowner to kick me out without a just reason and how much notice must I get?

As long as your fixed term of a tenancy is still on, your landlord has no right to evict you.

The only exception to this rule is if you violated the lease agreement.

Tenant rights
Rental agreement

This violation could involve damaging the rental property or failing to pay your rent.

If your fixed term of tenancy is over, and the homeowner wants to evict you, they must send you a notice to quit of at least two months.

The process of eviction must follow certain regulations.

Also, the court must authorize the landlord to possess the property if the tenant decides to overstay the notice.

  1. Can a landlord increase the rent whenever they want and how much notice should I get?

No, your landlord cannot increase the rent any time, except you agree or the tenancy agreement allows it.

Even if your fixed-term tenancy has a rent review clause, the landlord can only activate the clause after your initial fixed term agreement is over.

Landlords can increase the rent of periodic tenants after sending a proper, formal notice.

There are differences in terms of increasing rents in Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

  1. What step should I take if my landlord does not handle basic repairs, pests and so on?

If you are not responsible for the damages, your landlord has the right to make necessary repairs.

Tenant rights
Repair service

However, you can do small repairs yourself. If the landlord does not respond to your request for repairs, communicate with them orally and in written format with evidence.

Nevertheless, if they still do not do the repairs, you should contact your council.

The council can help you order the homeowner to do the needful.

  1. When can a landlord refuse to return my deposit after packing out?

Tenancy deposit scheme protects most security deposits and prevents the landlord from accessing the deposit without a genuine reason.

The scheme is of several advantages for tenants as it protects their deposits.

Tenant rights
Money and keys

If a landlord does not protect a deposit, such a person may be penalized and served notice.

Nonetheless, you may lose the deposit if you failed to pay rent or damaged the rental property or any significant items inside it.

  1. How long does it take before I get the deposit back?

A tenancy deposit scheme will return your security deposit to you within 10 days of agreeing on any deductions on the rentals.

However, you may fail to reach an agreement with the landlord on deductions.

In such a case, arbitration of the tenancy scheme will solve the issues.

Tenant rights
House and money
  1. If I have a dispute with a landlord, can he/she seize my property?

It is the legal obligation of your landlord to protect your belongings after you have left the unit.

The landlord must make an attempt to get in touch with you and return your belongings.

Afterward, they must send you a 28-days notice to move your belongings.

However, if you still do not move your belongings after the notice has expired, the landlord can dispose of or sell them.

Tenant rights

The landlord has the right to make a deduction from the sales and send the balance to you.

  1. If a housemate leaves an apartment, who is responsible for finding a new housemate?

For a joint tenancy, every tenant is responsible for the complete rent.

So, if anyone owes rent, the homeowner has the right to get the rent from all parties involved.

If your household under a joint tenancy is moving out, they could be in charge of finding tenants as long as you and the landlord agree.

However, if you cannot find a new housemate, the housemate must continue paying the rent or you could reach an agreement on paying the rent.

Whatever the case may be, you must reach an agreement with the landlord.

  1. What should I do if I lose my keys?

In this case, you need to get in touch with your landlord or property manager to see if you can get a spare set of keys.

Nonetheless, if you cannot get spare keys, you need to hire a locksmith to help you change the locks.

Tenant rights

However, you are paying for the changes and any damages caused to the property.

Also, check your lease agreement to know the right steps to take.

  1. What step should I take if a housemate harassed me?

If you deem it fit, talk to your housemate to resolve the problem.

You can also ask the landlord to help you.

However, your landlord has no obligation to do so.

Nevertheless, if there is a risk of sexual, racial or physical abuse, call the police to solve the issues.

  1. Can a landlord access my unit any time they want?

No, your landlord must send you a written notice, at least 24 hours before they come.

The landlord may need to access the home for decorating, redecorating, inspecting the property, or making repairs.

  1. If I have a disability, can I ask the landlord to provide an appropriate facility for accessibility?

If you have a disability and face issues accessing your home, you can demand the appropriate facility for accessibility.

Tenant rights

You can ask the landlord to make the adaptations or implement the changes yourself.

If your landlord does not agree, get in touch with an experienced adviser.

You can speak to our professionals at Reneza to assist you.

  1. Can a landlord deny an individual receiving Universal Credit or house benefits?

Yes, a landlord can deny an individual from making payment with house benefits.

So, if you depend on Universal Credit, you may need to look for a landlord who receives payment through it.

Check with your council to know those who belong to this category.

  1. Can a landlord charge me for wear and tear, and how does the landlord evaluate the amount?

Your tenancy agreement decides the condition in which you must leave the property.

So, check the agreement.

Tenant rights
Tenancy agreement

In most cases, your landlord will not charge you for wear and tear.

However, the landlord might charge for any more serious damages.

The landlord may decide to use your deposit for deductions.

However, you may disagree with such deductions and allow the tenancy deposit scheme to decide the deductions.

  1. Can a landlord check my credit rating to know if I can pay rent or not?

Yes, your landlord can check it after getting permission from you to do so.

If you have a bad credit history, you should not attempt to hide it when applying for a rental property.

If a landlord denies you an apartment before of your poor credit history, offer to pay the rent in advance or get a guarantor.

This will help the landlord or property manager consider approving your application.

  1. How much can be charged as administration fees?

There is no specific amount that a letting agent can charge you for administration fees.

Tenant rights

The administration fees might include payment for checking your credit and references.

Ensure that the amount the letting agent is charging you is clearly written on their website.

This is to avoid falling victim to unscrupulous agents.

  1. Can a landlord disallow me from accommodating a family or friends overnight?

You can receive an occasional overnight guest without having any issues with your landlord.

However, you are liable for the actions of your visitors.

Avoid any tenancy agreement that disallows accommodating a friend or family overnight.

Also, make it clear to your landlord that you are not subletting the unit, but rather receiving a visitor.

  1. What should I do if I experience discrimination because of nationality, ethnicity or religion?

If you feel discriminated against because of pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender reassignment or race, you may decide to seek legal assistance.

Tenant rights

Talk to our seasoned professionals at Reneza to get any form of assistance you need.

  1. If evicted at short notice, where can I stay?

If you are evicted at short notice, speak to us at Reneza and let’s examine the process.

We will help you decide whether the eviction is lawful or not.

If you do not have a place to stay, you should contact your local council.

They may be able to find you a place to stay for the meantime.

  1. What should I do if I have problems with paying rent on time?

Consider submitting an application for house benefits.

You can also get help from Universal Credit on your housing issues.

They may provide you some benefits that will help you cope with the problems.

  1. Do Wales and Scotland have any specific issues?

Registration is required for each landlord in Wales.

Tenant rights
Scotland and Walles

If you believe your homeowner has committed an offense, check their registration. If they are not registered, they may attract certain penalties.

Also, the right authority may revoke their license.

Local council demands every landlord in Scotland to register.

The local council oversees the qualification of each homeowner and property manager.

You May Also Like